Saturday, September 6, 2014

Layla's First Ballet Lesson

Oh boy. We may have created a monster here. We've been putting off dance for awhile because of the "ballet class of 2013" fiasco. We took her to a free class right after Jack was born to see if she'd like it...she ended up rolling around on the floor and following the teacher barking. Not. Ready.

She also didn't love the gymnastics class I signed her up for pre-Jack. The only thing she wanted to do was the balance beam. If there is one thing we've learned about this girl over the last 4.5 years it's that when she doesn't want to do something, she doesn't want to do something. There is no convincing her otherwise.

I've been building her up for dance for about 2 years. Seriously...2 entire years. It started with going to her BFF, Maddie's, dance recital after "ballet class of 2013". We told her "See?? THAT is how ballet is supposed to be". She told us she didn't like it and wanted to dance to "Lady Gaga". Ok so she wasn't ready.

So since then we've been reading books about dance, listing to some classical music and encouraging her to "do what I do" during our dance parties. It totally worked and she was FINALLY excited to start dance this year. YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!

I wouldn't consider L a girly girl but she was ROCKING her hair bow, leg warmers and tights the day of her first lesson. She was so excited to "go to ballet"!


I told her to give me her best ballet pose...this is what I got-



Then I told her to "be serious" and she did THIS. Oh I love this kid!

Layla gets to do her lessons in the library auditorium, the same place where her recital will be. PERFECT for this girl. She was a little nervous going into things...



She seemed hesitant when they first got started. I think most of the girls where in class last year so they were familiar with the format. Layla's teacher seems super sweet and really good with the girls. She moves quickly which I'm hoping means L will pick up her pace. :) We shall see! 

She was all smiles after class and said she "REALLY LOVED BALLET"! She can't wait to go back this week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment