Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dow Gardens Butterflies

Anyone that knows me well knows that I am scared. To. Death. Of. Bugs. If you didn't know this about me, then you apparently have never seen so much as a fly land close to me. I am ashamed to say that my reaction to such would be something you'd never forget. This phobia will not even spare the "pretty" beasts bugs including butterflies.

I've heard from several people that we should take Layla to see the butterflies at Dow Gardens. After struggling to keep my heart rate down and get out a "I'd love to but I'm deathly afraid of bugs" in my inside voice I think to myself "I'm going to have to face my fears eventually". Yes, I do know that normal kids like bugs. I have actually feared for the day that someone gets Layla a bug catcher for her bday/Xmas/Easter. And knowing how my family loves to make fun of me and my weaknesses, it will be soon (gasp!). I know that someday Layla is going to come running up to me thrilled and screaming "mommy mommy, can I keep it?!" while trying to hand me a grasshopper. I am shivering as I type this...it is hard for me to keep these horrific images in the back of my mind while I still can.

So Bryan suggested we go see these butterflies one day last week. At first I was horrified, why was he springing this on me?! I didn't have enough time to see a professional hypnotist and get myself cured! I decided it would be okay, I could just stay outside of the exhibit while Daddy and Layla did their thing.

We had a great walk to the butterfly house and when we got there it didn't look so scary so I decided to go in! But it wasn't even two seconds into the first door that I had my first brush of death. There was a HUGE butterfly right on the door when we first walked in. I almost threw myself on the floor in fetal position but I held it together and once we got in, I was totally fine! You'd all be SO proud of me, seriously. I did freak out a couple of times but it was just a mini freak out and I didn't let Layla see (I really don't want Layla to be scared).

So here are the few pictures I took of my "big leap". It was really humid in the exhibit and I couldn't get my lens to unfog so the pics are a little blurry. What? Do you really think I was going to stay in there long enough for my lens to clear up? My hair was getting curly. Hahahaha!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment