Monday, September 5, 2011

My sewing adventures

Yes friends, it has happened. I am becoming a domestic housewife and it is SICK-EN-ING. It has been almost a year since I stopped working and became a stay at home mom. I have had so many changes this year but if someone looked me in the eye last year and said "you are going to learn how to sew" I would have laughed. Hysterically laughed. And here I am, one year later asking my Grandma to teach me how to sew. Really I want to learn because I know I can save a ton of money once I learn how to hem and take in Layla's pants (that girl is so tall and skinny!) and I have a lot of house projects to do!

So Grandma brought her sewing machine for their visit. I'm starting to plan Layla's big girl room (*sob*) and Grandma is going to make a quilt for her bed. We all know I can't make a decision to save my life and although I've had a cupcakes and candy theme picked out for her toddler room since she was born, I have now fallen in love with this:

So in fear that I would change my mind once again, we went to the quilting store here in Midland and picked out the fabric for Layla's room. I apologize for the HORRIBLE lighting but you get the point:


This will be the fabric Grandma will use for the quilt and inspiration for the rest of the room. I'm painting it the same color as the room I love (Benj Moore- Jet Stream) but I wanted it to look a little more cottage-y/vintage-y than modern.

We bought some extra fabric so I could practice on Grandma's sewing machine and figure out if I really wanted to sew or if this was just a stay at home mom crisis that I have everyone once in awhile (in addition to starting the photography business which is going GREAT I have also decided to take up crocheting which was a disaster, cooking, coupon cutting and pretty much every other awful stay at home wife/mom hobby).

I have to give Grandma credit because she is an excellent teacher (and photographer because she took these) but here is what I came out with:


Layla's big girl pillow and pillowcase! And I did it (almost) all by myself! I am seriously so proud and it was a lot easier than I thought. I know my Grandmas, mother in law and a few great grandmas "upstairs" that are very proud of my skills! ;o) Don't worry Janet, I still need your talents for the window treatments, other pillows, lamp shades...and a few more things. LOL
 
So after taking on the pillow case I decide it was time to take on a bigger and better project. A new "taggie" for Layla. So it was off to the fabric store again and Grandma and I worked all afternoon on Layla's new blankie. Layla LOVES it (you know this when she digs her face into it that she loves it).

1 comment:

  1. HOLY SH** I am so proud of you!! You should MAKE your cmas presents!!

    ReplyDelete