Friday, February 24, 2012

Toddler Bed Curse

Enough of the screaming, enough of the crying...we are ready for a big girl bed. Layla has been HORRIBLE at nap time for the past 2 months. I can count the number of times on my fingers that she's actually taken a nap since we started potty training.

I'm fine with her not taking a nap, but she's not getting any down time. I've tried EVERYTHING and this week I decided enough was enough, I was throwing her mattress on the floor and calling it a "big girl bed". Sure enough, she started staying on the mattress and seemed really excited about her "Simba bed". Whatever works right?!

This is one of the last pictures I took of Layla's crib. Please note all the books (3), pillow (1), babies (3), blankets (4) and "lovies" (3)...and their is one McDonald's toy Smurf ("Mousie") in there too.


Bryan's parents came for a visit last week and actually brought the bunk bed's that Bryan and his brother shared. We are using one of them as Layla's big girl bed but we had to sand, prime and paint it. It is still a work in progress...only 1 coat left, then some drying time and Layla will officially have her big girl bed (sob). 

But having that little crib mattress on the floor looked so weird so we decided to let her take a test drive on her mattress. And this is where the curse begins. Yesterday we took the crib down and put all the "baby stuff" away, including the rocker that was in her room. We brought up the new twin mattress, laid it on the floor and I made the bed. The whole time we were making a big HUGE deal about it and Layla seemed really excited. 

As soon as I got the bed made she jumped in and wanted covered up. Awesome! She loves it! She just laid there and looked at us like she was really thinking about something...and then we realized she was PEEING. This kid hasn't had an accident in the house in I don't know how long but apparently she felt the need to mark her territory. So I take the bed apart and wash ALL the sheets, blankets...etc. 

She did great last night, slept all night in her bed and called me when it was time to get up. I was so proud of her! Apparently things like potty training and "big girl" beds come naturally to Layla, but eating is an issue?! LOL. Anyway, she went down for nap like a champ and even SLEPT! Holy cow...it's a miracle! 

I laid down with her for a few minutes to play after nap. How amazing it was to just lay in the same bed and play as she woke up. All of a sudden I smelt pee but I just thought her diaper was full from actually napping. Nope...I was sitting in a pile of pee. Apparently her diaper had come off during nap and she peed all over. Great...sheets off, blankets and such BACK in the wash and Layla got a bath at 3:30 in the afternoon. 

We all know Bryan and I practice top parenting skills everyday. Today, we let Layla jump on her bed. I know we are going to pay greatly for this...but I'm going to go ahead and blame this one on Bryan. Anyway, here is a video of Layla jumping on her mattress and reason #3 (starting at about minute 1:15) why we might need to hire a priest and get some holy water up in here:




The look she gives me at the end is priceless and I really wish it would have been in focus! But it is a good thing it wasn't...it's kind of like the movie "The Ring". If you look directly at it, the curse might come to your house! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment