Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Freaking dogs

Let me take you back to a time when I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant with Layla and I cried at work because I was telling a coworker how I didn't think I could love anything more than I loved our dogs. Fast forward 2.5 years to today and you'd see a MUCH different side of me. I'm constantly reminding myself how old they are (8 and 6) and wondering how many more years I'm going to have to put up with them.

Don't feel sorry for them. They are mean, loud, don't appreciate anything and have mental issues that I can't even begin to describe. We've done our best to give them the best doggie lives that we can. We used to take them for walks (until Oscar's paw pads decided to fall off), give them treats (until Oscar needed surgery and $40 for an 8 lbs bag of prescription dog food because of bladder stones) and hugged and kissed on them so much (until they both decided it would be so much fun to roll in squirrel poop and eat it). They jump on the table to grab food if we turn our eyes away for 1 second (and I do mean 1 second).

Moose barks his loud pitch, ear piercing bark at everything. He's relentless when he wants to go out or feels the need to eat. He's a sneak and a liar and he chases squirrels.

Oscar also barks at everything and won't stop. His whine is the most annoying sound in the world. His breath smells worse than death and he knows that he can get away with growling even with the bark collar on. He is not the best with Layla and growls ALL the time.

So why in the world do we continue to put up with their crap? Because every morning Oscar cries at L's door until I let him in so he can lick her and play under the covers. Because Moose wears the same St. Patrick's day necklace everyday without complaining. And honestly, because they take care of the goldfish crumbs off the couch.


And because Layla loves them and loves taking care of them. And since I love her more than anything in the whole world (yes, even the dogs) we'll let those wild beasts stick around.

Freaking dogs.






1 comment:

  1. This may be my favorite blog of all time just because I know how much you really really love those dogs and were worried about how Miss Layla would fit in. Precious to see them together!

    ReplyDelete