Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mexico Vacation

I have to admit, I was actually regretting this vacation the day before we left for Mexico. I was scared about how Layla would act on the journey and absolutely terrified of the eating situation. I'm so happy to report that Layla was AMAZING when traveling...she is SUCH a pro. I think we really will have a great world traveler on our hands and it is pretty obvious that she loves to fly and hates to drive.

Although she traveled so well, the eating continues to be a major problem and the source of a few gray hairs for me. In fact, if it doesn't get better soon I'm pretty sure I'm going to start loosing my hair. HAHA. But she actually started eating bananas (yes, in order to spell this fruit I always refer to Gwen Stefani's song) while we were there which was worth the entire headache of traveling with a toddler, the cost of the trip, and the sandy diapers. I had the BIGGEST smile on my face today when I picked up some bananas at the grocery store.

So here are just a few of the HUNDREDS of pictures I took on vacation. We really had such a great time and having Grandma and Grandpa Mudd there was the best! Can't wait for the next big vacation!

The night before we left we stayed at the Dtown airport. The hotel was great and it made our trip the next day a lot easier on Layla. We were lucky to have a room on the Delta terminal side and Layla LOVED watching the planes come and go. This was her standing on the couch looking out our room window.


After a long plane and shuttle ride we couldn't WAIT to hit the beach. I was SO nervous about how Layla would do with the sand. But I'm so happy to say that therapy as worked wonders for her and she was rolling around (literally) in it within 5 minutes of being on the beach. Here is one view of our beach-

And another. It is hard to see in these pictures but the water was SO clear here. Probably the clearest I've ever seen it in Mexico. This hotel had an amazing beach. Layla didn't care for the water too much but warmed up to it towards the end of our stay. She loved to watch the fish in the water from Grandpa's arms. 

A few from our room. This was the view I got ever day when Layla was napping. There is nothing like reading a good book with the ocean as your background. Ahhhh...

Here you can kind of tell how clear the water is. The dark spots are rocks/reefs that were apparently great for snorkeling. I wouldn't know since I'm afraid of fish and didn't want to get eaten. 

I would say the majority of our time during the day was spent in this exact spot. Haha. Layla had her favorite spot on the beach that she claimed everyday. Right on the edge of the water so her little toes (but noting more!) could get wet.

We had to take several shade and drink breaks since it was so hot and humid. Here is Layla rolling in the sand (notice her swim bottoms!!). I am still trying to get the sand out of our washer and dryer after doing laundry this morning. 

Oh the birds. Mexico has these black crow like birds that are fearless. Layla loved them. So she was constantly pointing to them and going "caw caw" LOL

Here we are in Layla's spot. 

Taking a break and eating a BANANA (queue holla back girl). 

The resort that we stayed in didn't have bath tubs. I didn't think this was an issue being that about 6 months ago she decided to jump in the shower with me and didn't seem to mind it. Well...she did mind it. She minded it A LOT. It took 3 of us the first day to get the sand off of her. So here is Mommy, Grandpa and Grandma (actually took a second from scrubbing her hair to take this pic) giving Layla her first real shower. She's smiling here but let me tell you, it was rough.

I've already mentioned the eating issues so I won't go on about that but here are a few pictures I took while eating at some of the resort's restaurants. Layla is a pro (for a 21 month old) at using chop sticks

Here we are at the Italian place, Layla is handing Grandma Fruit Loops.  

Ok...another banana. I was so excited I think I took a picture of every banana she ate. 

Our silly girl would NOT look at the camera. 

This was our gorgeous view at the Mexican place. SO amazing.


Layla eating her very first ever ice cream cone. The lens was fogged so it was hard to get a good picture. Trust me when I say ice cream was EVERYWHERE and Layla loved it. 

Here is Layla enjoying room service. I'm waiting for her to ask for a phone in her bedroom so she can call me for french fries at home too.

We had some down time in our rooms because of rain a few times and just to get a break from the sun. And speaking of sun...I have a funny "this would only happen to Ashley" story. We brought 6 things of sun screen...yes 6! Several for Layla and a few that I wanted to take and get rid of since we bought them on our honeymoon. Our honeymoon that was 5 years ago. Well apparently sun screen expires and I have zebra patterned sun burns ALL OVER MY BODY. Yes people, I went to Mexico and came back looking like I'm wearing a white mask and white tights with holes in them. My tan is screwed this winter...I can only hope that it snows soon so I can start wearing turtle necks, jeans, boots and a face mask when I go out in public. And let's not forget the pain I was in while traveling and having to wear a seatbelt on the plane with a toddler in my lap kicking the side of my leg where my burns are practically purple. Go ahead...laugh all you want.

Anyway...Here are some pictures of us just hanging around the hotel. This one was of Grandma giving Layla a magic carpet ride...I hate when my Mom teaches Layla new things. LOL

Layla loved these girls and they were SO good! She was just dancing the night away to their songs.

I just adore this picture. LOL

The humidity was very kind to Layla's curls (no so much Mommy's). I hate that she won't let me put anything in her hair. Nothing like someone coming up to you while your child is in a DRESS and PINK shoes and saying "Awwww, what a cute little boy! What is his name?". 

Grandma, Layla and Daddy watching a little TV before dinner .

This was actually the seating at one of the beach bars. Yes, I took my child to a bar to swing. So what? LOL

Layla loves to tell people who's boss. Here she is in the hotel lobby letting some British kids know just what she thinks about their accents.



My little genius playing chess and thinking about her next move. 

Check mate! 

She isn't a poor sport like her Daddy. She felt sorry for this little horse so she decided to kiss it. HAHA

The entertainment could have been better at this resort but we did have one evening that was great. They have fire dancers at the beach and I got some pretty cool pics!




Here is Layla's reaction to the show. It looks like she is crying but she is actually just being silly.

Here is a video of her reaction LOL

Layla got a few souvenirs while we were there but this is my favorite. They had a pottery painting table set up so she picked out this birdie and went to town. She was actually very good at this!


Here is the finished product. The guy said that he could "fix" it but I wanted it to be just how she did it. He added the black lines and glazed it but the rest was done by our little Picasso.  I personally believe that this will be in the Louvre some day. ;o)

One afternoon we went to the marina (about a 5 minute walk) to explore. They have a small little place that does the whole swimming with the dolphins experience and shows. We also found some sea lions that were acting JUST like Oscar and Moose do at home. Layla thought this was absolutely hilarious and loved to watch them fight

This was a huge sting ray at the aquarium 

They even had matinees! It is kind of hard to see in pictures though

And here Layla is with Grandma and Grandpa! 

We had such a great time. I know Layla won't remember this trip but I hope when she gets older she realizes how lucky she is to be a world traveler at 2. Haha. We can't wait to travel and explore more with her (especially now that we know how great she does on trips).

1 comment:

  1. GREAT GREAT GREAT pics!! LOVE the videos-love her period! Miss you guys and cannot wait to see you all soon!!! Grayden has been talking all about seeing his "cousin Layla"!!

    ReplyDelete